Dinner? Done! Creamy Chicken Chili the entire family will love.
Did you ever wish you could just come home to a hot, delicious meal ready to devour? That’s what all of those celebrities do right? They have chefs making them home-cooked meals so they can eat healthful dinners that taste great.
Well you can too with the help of your in house chef—your slow cooker. You may already be using one but if you aren’t, go check your attic because I’m sure somewhere along the line someone has given you one.
What makes this recipe not only rich and satisfying but good-for-you is dried beans. They add a creaminess without any fat. Make sure you follow the key first step of soaking the beans in hot water before starting—this eliminates the need for overnight soaking and insures the beans get cooked through.
- 2 cups Great Northern dried beans
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pickeled jalapeno peppers, seeded, deribbed and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 oz) hominy or corn, drained
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Combine beans and boiling water in slow-cooker.
- Let stand while preparing other ingredients.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeno if using, cumin and chili powders and ½ teaspoon of the salt.
- Place chicken on top and then layer on summer squash.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in hominy, remaining salt, lime juice and cilantro.
- Spoon into bowls and serve topped with chopped tomatoes, additional sour cream and chips.
- Makes 12 cups; serving size 1½ cups
Please Stay in Touch with Us