Get some satisfaction for breakfast with this Swiss frittata muffin recipe.
I’ve (Regina) been enjoying cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit for breakfast all summer but as we roll into fall I want something heartier. Eggs are one of the most satisfying breakfasts out there but since I never have time in the morning to scramble one up I developed an on-the-go type of omelet muffin.
The beauty of these is that you can make a batch ahead of time and switch them around with different types of cheeses and vegetables. Try the recipe and let me know what vegetables you used and how you like them.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk, low-fat or full-fat
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup Swiss or Gruyere cheese, shredded (could also use Jarlsberg light for less fat)
- ¾ cup chopped asparagus
- ⅓ cup chopped Canadian bacon
- 2 Tbsp sweet onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Add cheese, asparagus, Canadian bacon and onion; mix well.
- Spoon evenly into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake until just set, 20-22 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack 5 minutes.
- Remove from cup and serve warm.
- Serving size: 2 muffins